I often serve this for Christmas Eve when all the Melchreit's come to visit. It's also wonderful on bagels the next morning!
8 oz. cooked salmon (see note below)
1-8 oz. container soft-style cream cheese with chives and onion
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish (Adjust to taste. We like more.)
Few dashes hot pepper sauce
Red caviar (optional)
1. Place salmon in food processor and blend until smooth. Add cream cheese, lemon juice, horseradish, and hot pepper sauce. Process until well blended.
2. Transfer to small serving bowl and refrigerate.
3. To serve, garnish with red caviar and serve with crackers.
Makes about 2 cups.
Note: Lox works very well in this recipe and gives a slightly smoky flavor. Buying the "Nova Bits" in the deli department is much less expensive.
Golden Amaretto Cake
Submitted by Alison Caxide
I make this every Christmas; my guests have come to expect it!
1 box yellow cake mix
½ cup vegetable oil
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding (5.1 oz)
½ cup water
¼ tsp almond extract
¾ cup plus 6 Tbsp Amaretto liqueur, divided
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine first six ingredients plus ¾ cup of amaretto in a bowl and blend well.
3. Pour into greased and lightly floured 9.5 inch bundt pan.
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
5. Combine remaining 6 tablespoons of amaretto with confectioners’ sugar. While cake is still warm in pan, poke holes in cake with a fork. Pour liqueur mixture over.
6. Allow cake to cool in pan at least 2 hours before turning onto decorative plate.
7. If desired, sprinkle with a little confectioners’ sugar.